B A S I C - b o u t i q u e
Browse Categories


Friday, January 21, 2011

Style Icons: Who Are Yours?

When I was little I refused to wear anything other than leggings, because they were the most comfortable. These days, you won't catch me without a pair of jeans on.

I always wonder how my sense of style came to be. I've been fascinated by fashion my whole life. This led me to ask the following questions. What shapes our style? Is it the old nature/nurture debate? Is it our role models, or is it an innate sense within us that is reinforced later in our lives by different stimuli? Yes, I just said stimuli.

I have always liked clean lines, ruffles, bows, silk, and the color pink. My mother took me shopping with her when I was young, but is that why I love fashion? I didn't exactly have any style icons to look up to as a child, but today's media has changed that. We are able to see who wears what, when they wore it, and where they wore it to. Love it or hate it, celebrities tend to be the majority of our style icons.

I love Rachel Bilson. I love her clothes, her hair & makeup, and in college, someone even said I looked like her. I stand by the fact that they were sober. Olivia Palermo may have been the bad guy on "The City," but she is beautiful and when I look at her I think of perfection. She has impeccable taste. Eva Mendes is a no-brainer, with her tousled waves and fitted frocks.

In Sex and the City terms, I'm a handful of Carrie, a cup of Charlotte, and a pinch of both Samantha and Miranda. Modern day Miranda, that is.

Twitter follower @JuicyKate said, "I love Sienna Miller's fashion. She reuses everyday pieces in a way no other star does. She isn't afraid to wear things twice." Another twitter follower, @allyinwondrland, said her style icons included "Catherine Deneuve, Dita Von Teese, The Olsens, Daphne Guinness, Victoria Beckham, Jackie O, and Kate Moss on a good day."

Who are your style icons?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lauren said...

My style icons are Lauren Hutton, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kourtney Kardashian. All very different!

January 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Facebook Basic Boutique